The National Association of Catholic Chaplains and the Catholic Prison Ministry Coalition program called Pathways of Formation is for those who want to train to minister to those affected by incarceration in our prisons and jails.
- Foundational is for those who wish to become involved in supporting pastoral care to
those affected by incarceration.
- Intensive is for para-professional who commit to further a wider ministry to those
incarcerated and strengthen their gift of service in prison, re-entry and community.
- Leadership is for those committed to be responsible for assuring that all elements of
pastoral care are addressed as a Diocesan Coordinator of Prison Ministry.
The Foundational is the basic program and covers all the training needed to work in a prison and reentry ministry with the appropriate tools to provide the services the men and women need. The preparation is grounded in three dimensions of formation ministry enough to begin to discern the call to pastoral care in prison ministry:
- Academic Preparation: 16 hours of formation using CPMC Prison Ministry 101 with
accompanying reflection booklets.
- Clinical Preparation: 8 hours of reflection with an assigned mentor or supervisor to
review reflection questions from the webinars and process experiences in jails and
- Ministry Experience: 6 hours of mentoring in multiple settings aimed to help discern the
understanding and comfort level for prison ministry.
Information Contact: Louis Slapshak (email@example.com) (618-234-8334)